Tuesday, October 25, 2011

CATW Practice 2

     The passage adapted from, "The Woman Who Died in the Waiting Room", by Jeen Interlandi explains how a 49-year old woman(Esmin Green) died in just 20 minutes later, after the nurse checked on her in 40 minutes. Jeneen explains how patients with psychiatric problems get less attention than others. I agree with the statement that, "Public hospitals across the country have struggled to provide acute psychiatric cqare to the uninsurwed since the early 1960's, when large mental hospitals began closing theor doors en masse."
   There are times when many patients are ignored, due to health ionsurance, or wealth of class. I find the death of Esmin Green disturbing, the more I think about it. It happens almost all of the time, when you sign in, and sits you aside to wait nearly forever in the waiting room, whether mental problem or not. I remember when I was rushed to the emergency room from rash. It was from eating a fillet-o-fish from the school cafeteria. I was in fifith grade in elemantary school at the time, in the Upper West Side. I was ten years old at the time. I remember that I had to be diosmissed early from the LEAP afterschool program, because the condition became worse. At home, my parents tried to soak me in an oatmeal bathtub, so that probably, the rash can heakl. Instead, the rash worsened even more, and my parents rushed me to the emergency room, at a hospital in the Upper East Side. My mother checked me in at nine o' clock at night. A nurse did not come in untill three o' clock in the morning. At that time, the rash nearly spread my body. the only part that the rash did not spread was my face. What the doctor gave me was Benadrill, a medicine used for allergic reactions. my parents were angry about this, because what they waited six hours for was something in which my parents would of buyed for me at the pharmacy, and I would be cured in twenty minutes. This is why I find the death of Esmin Green disturbing, because why have hospitals, if you would not be treated the same way as the wealthy would? It is just wrong and unfair. My situatiopn is not a mental sickness, but I can understand how it feels like compared to Esmin Green.
     People who are not wealthy would have to go through the waiting room in hospitals. Not only that, at times, for those who may not have health care insurance, it would be more difficult for them to be treated. For hospitals in America, it's, no insurance, no good treatment. Even for the mentally ill and poor, it's bad how treatment is judged by how much money you have in your account. Not only is it bad, but very sad as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment