Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Blog 6: Personal Directions for CATW

    On the day of the exam, I will not panic. I know exactly the rules of the exam like butter, I just need to stay calm and focused. The day that I first recieve the exam, I would read the passage carefully, twice. The second time, I would carefully underline the main idea and the key points, supporting the main idea. After, I would begin summarizing, by first introducing where the passage is adapted from, or title, and summarizing the main idea and the supporting ideas, leaving out any secondary details. Then, I would write my thesis, with materials supporting my thesis. My thesis would specifically agree or disagree with the passage. The first paragraph is just writing the title and/ or author ( If there is one.), summarize the main idea and key points, and agree/disagree with the topic, using a significant idea. For the second paragraph, I would brainstorm before I begin writing, because the first thing I think about are good examples to support my thesis. Then I would freewrite, edit, and begin writing my second and third paragraph. Other techniques for writing are prewiting, outline and clustering. In my second and third paragraphs, I would begin with an opening sentence. A way to write my examples would be downshifting. Another way, depending if I would write a story, or write in first person or thrid person, would be narrative. After my two paragraphs, would be my conclusion. I would make sure to reread my essay a couple of times, making corrections and/or changes, so that I can help my reader follow my thinking. I will also make sure to bring plenty of pens, and a paper dictionary for any unusual words.
        What is most important that I would have to look out for on the day of the exam is timing. I do tend to freeze when it goes to how I am going to write, and I do need to avoid that as best as I can. I also need to be careful with grammar and punctuation. I do know what I have to write; the problem is how am I going to write it? Another thing is missing the supporting ideas. This happens to me most of the time. I need to look out for that, because that is the first thing the reader will be looking for. It is important that the main points are there, otherwise, the reader would make an assumption that the writer does not understand the topic. I also become exeremely nervous on the day of the exam.
    What I would do to avoid freezing, is to freewrite. When I freewrite, it helps me bring out my ideas, and all I can do is edit afterword. For the passage, I would have to take my time to read it carefully and think about it; is this really part of the main ideas? I do plan to bring a watch on the day of the exam to time myself. Also, the most important of the most important; I need to not panic and focus on the exam. I would also advise myself to reread my essay carefully. Am I sure that my grammar and punctuation are fixed carefully?

No comments:

Post a Comment